|Publisher||Macmillan South Africa|
|Print Price||R 151.95|
The Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS) for FET Sciences states that in all grades, a significant amount of time should be spent on doing practical tasks and investigations, which are an integral part of the teaching and learning process.
The focus of these Step into Science FET Resource Books for Practical Activities is to promote knowledge and skills in scientific inquiry and to encourage the investigating skills
that are relevant to the study of Life and Physical Sciences i.e. ‘Doing Science’.
Learners should be able to complete investigations, analyse problems, and use practical processes and skills in designing and evaluating solutions. Learners are required to plan and
do simple investigations, and solve problems that need some practical ability. The practical activities also develop attitudes and values that underpin this practical ability.
The Programme of Formal Assessment for Physical Sciences and Life Sciences requires one selected practical task per term across Grades 10 to 12. To make the teacher’s decision
easier, we have provided a selection of practical tasks per knowledge area that can be used for informal (formative) and formal assessment as part of the Programme of Assessment.
The Step into Science FET Resource Books for Practical Activities have the following features:
• An introduction to practical work that explains the purpose and aim of practical work, the scientific process, and the process skills which should be developed through practical activities.
• Guidelines to ensure safety in the science classroom.
• A selection of practical activities per knowledge area per grade for the FET Phase. This means a choice of well-designed practical activities, which could be used for informal or formal assessment.
• Each practical activity consists of:
– teacher support that indicates the objectives, advance preparation, and improvised resources, where applicable. This enables the teacher to plan the practical tasks and investigations
– a photocopiable worksheet for the learners to complete, that outlines the practical task according to the scientific process
– assessment tools and guidelines, including rubrics where relevant and a marking memorandum to assess the worksheet completed by the learners.