There are so many reasons that reading is important that it’s hard to list just a few! Here are our Top 10:
- Reading improves concentration. This helps children in all their subjects at school, as well as later when they enter the world of work.
- Reading improves memory – also a great skill in all subjects.
- Reading improves language skills and communication.
- You can learn about the world and its people and places. You can learn about how things work and the processes that shape society.
- Reading can make you kinder. When we read about different people and their experiences, we understand them better and are more likely to sympathise with them.
- Reading can help develop self-esteem. When you understand the world (and your place in it) more fully, you can become more confident.
- Reading stimulates imagination and creativity. This isn’t just important for artists – it helps you think in a more creative way about problem-solving in all subjects.
- Reading can make you a more critical thinker – a vital skill for living in our confusing world!
- Reading together can be a bonding experience for parents and children.
- Reading is fun! It’s entertaining and interesting.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies … The man who never reads lives only one." - George RR Martin