1. Know each learner as a person. This can give you valuable information about who they are which will be an advantage when teaching them.
2. Make personal connections with the learners by spending time with them daily.
3. Use an overload of positive messages and quotes making every learner feel like they are destined for greatness.
4. Constantly provide feedback that is positive.
5. Allow the learners to freely express themselves through their own expressions – display their art, showcase their talents, have a suggestion box so that they can anonymously contribute to improving the learning environment.
6. Create an environment that encourages free speech and non-judgemental opinions.
7. Create a relationship so that learners feel free to come to you to confide and share.
8. RESPECT is key – respect for you, for others and for themselves.
9. Discipline and accountability should act hand in hand – every action has a reaction.
10. Make the physical environment of your classroom as comfortable and cheerful as possible
• Du Toit E.R.2014. Powerful learning environment. Macmillan South Africa