As an educator, you have a responsibility for every learner in your class. A differentiated class is an inclusive class.
What is an inclusive school?
- Celebrate diversity
- Make the curriculum accessible to all learners irrespective of ability
- Use creative ways to provide support to all learners so that they achieve their full potential
- TEAMWORK – between teachers – between parents and teachers
How do I start?
Get to know your children – read all supporting and referral documents.
- Employ differentiated teaching strategies to reach all learners. ???? Be brave – try out new strategies to reap positive results.
- Make learning an experience that provides a skill for Life Skills. ???? Collaboration – share ideas with colleagues by supporting and helping each other.
- Adapt or die – be open to change.
- Use your mistakes as stepping stones to success.
- Panic is not the answer – reach out.
- Have the highest expectation for all your learners.
- Never lose your conﬁdence.
Inclusive classroom strategies
1. Deﬁne clear minimum standards for behaviour.
2. Enforce those standards consistently.
3. Deal with children who misbehave in a sensitive way.
4. Create opportunities to listen to all children.
5. Develop a ‘scaffolded’ approach to learning.
6. Be aware of the speciﬁ c needs of every child in your class.
7. Provide support for them in ways which benefit ALL children in your class.
8. Create a calm, purposeful learning environment.
9. Clearly display timetables and key information.
10. Use pre-assessment to inform your planning.
11. Let children choose how to show what they have learned.
12. Don’t make comparisons – every child is unique.
Every Flower has the potential to bloom